XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Unable To Run Xmail On Suse 11.1

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Unable To Run Xmail On Suse 11.1, hanging on startup
mprowe
Posted: Nov 25 2009, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

Hi all,

Just a quick introductory question before I have to go “deep 'n dirty”:

I am using a “clean” install on SuSE 11.1 (2.6.31) and repeated on SuSE 11.2.
I have downloaded Xmail 1.26 and successfully completed steps 1 to 8 and 12 of the Configuration steps from the included Readme.

I am now in a chicken and egg situation. I know, that I don't know all the answers to enable me to do an accurate and functioning operation on steps 9, 10 & 11 (setting up SERVER.TAB & CTRLACCOUNTS.TAB & adding users).

Therefore can anyone advise on the consequences of starting Xmail without a set of fully functional set of parameter files. To avoid folks having to guess, this what I am seeing:

As root, if I run
CODE
/etc/init.d/xmail start
I see in the console the message “Starting Xmail:” and the cursor hangs. Checking ps -A, I see that xmail has started. Examining, the startup script and with a bit of editing, I think that the script is held in the loop waiting for /var/run/xmail.pid to be created.

I am fairly sure that the ports are free – netstat shows nothing on ports 25 & 110.

Can anyone suggest what I could check to debug this problem.

Regards, Martin
PMEmail Poster
mprowe
Posted: Nov 25 2009, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

TaDaaaa....!

With the help of strace -o filename
It seems that sub-directories under MailRoot (dnscache, spool & tabindex) are not being created.

When I add them by hand, the service starts and telnet localhost 25 gives me a response. A good starting point for me ...

Is this a local issue (ie ME) or is this a wider problem?

Regards, Martin

PS - If anyone would like to help me turn my Visio architectural schematics into a set of .tab files, I'd be most willing to hear from you.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll