XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Slow Sending Mail With Custmaplist

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Slow Sending Mail With Custmaplist, Slow Sending Mail with CustMapList
jlepore
Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3318

I have done searches, and can not find an answer so please forgive me if I missed the search!

Since turning on CustMapList, sending mail from my client to the server (on the same network) has gotten very slow (5-8 seconds vs. instantaneous with it off).

My lines are as follows:
#"CustMapsList" "sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.:0,bl.spamcop.net.:1,blackholes.mail-abuse.org.:1,dialups.mail-abuse.org.:0"
"CustMapsList" "sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.:0"

I reduced it to just the one to see if it made a difference - still very slow.

So, I have 2 questions: One - why would this be so slow, and Two - why bother checking OUTBOUND email anyway?? I don't care if it takes an extra minute to receive mail to the server (client never sees that delay anyway), but why the outbound check?

I don't allow relay, so only authenticated users can send anyway ... this seems like a waste, although I assume it's because I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Joe

My full Server.tab file is:

"RootDomain" "zzzz.com"
"POP3Domain" "zzzz.com"
"HeloDomain" "zzzz.com"
"PostMaster" "postmaster@zzzz"
"ErrorsAdmin" "postmaster@zzzz"
#"TempErrorsAdmin" "send-failures@xmailserver.test"
#"DefaultSMTPGateways" "192.168.1.2,192.168.1.15"
"RemoveSpoolErrors" "1"
#"DisableEmitAuthUser" "1"
#"NotifyMsgLine***tra" "8"
#"NotifySendLogToSender" "0"
#"NotifyTryPattern" "1"
"MaxMTAOps" "16"
"ReceivedHdrType" "1"
"FetchHdrTags" "+X-Deliver-To,+Received,To,Cc"
#"CustomSMTPMessage" "Please open http://www.xmailserver.test/smtp_errors.html to get more informations about this error"
#"MaxMessageSize" "20000"
#"EnableAuthSMTP-POP3" "0"
#"Pop3SyncErrorAccount" "psync-errors@xmailserver.test"
#"AllowNullSender" "0"
#"AllowSmtpVRFY" "1"
#"AllowSmtpETRN" "1"
#"SmtpMinDiskSpace" "100000"
#"SmtpMinVirtMemSpace" "64000"
#"Pop3MinVirtMemSpace" "64000"
#"CustMapsList" "sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.:0,bl.spamcop.net.:1,blackholes.mail-abuse.org.:1,dialups.mail-abuse.org.:0"
"CustMapsList" "sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.:0"
#"SMTP-RDNSCheck" "1"
#"CheckMailerDomain" "1"
#"SmartDNSHost" "dns.home.bogus.net:tcp,192.168.1.1:udp"
#"DynDnsSetup" "www.dns4ever.com,80,/sys/u.cgi?d=MYDOMAIN&u=MYUSERNAME&p=MYPASSWORD&i=%s"
#"DynDnsSetup" "members.dyndns.org,80,/nic/dyndns?action=edit&started=1&hostname=YES&host_id=yourhost.ourdomain.ext&myip=%s&wildcard=OFF&mx=mail.exchanger.ext&backmx=NO,foouser,foopasswd"
#"SmtpConfig" "mail-auth"
#"SmtpConfig-192.168.0.1" "mail-auth"
"DefaultSmtpPerms" "MRVZ"
PMEmail Poster
sc4vengr
Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Professional

Member No.: 461

So, I have 2 questions: One - why would this be so slow

I am not sure but this could be a due to a slow name server, are you using your ISP's name servers? If you can, set up your own bind server and it should run better.

and Two - why bother checking OUTBOUND email anyway??

No idea, maybe XMail doesn't want to send emails to blacklisted domains that's why it would query BL servers before sending anything.

--------------------
You + webcam - clothes - dignity = $
PMEmail Poster
jlepore
Posted: Jul 1 2009, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3318

Yes, I am using my ISP's name servers. I tried doing some more research on spamhaus.org, and found that I can not actually ping them (by design), so I have no way of telling how long the actual resolution time is. They also warn that their addresses change frequently, so I can't even just hardcode an address to test.

They seem to indicate that they like outbound mail to be checked through them to prevent the spam from getting on the wire in the first place. That's all well and good, but I would prefer to have the option to check inbound without outbound. I have very few users (less than 15 total in all my served domains), so I am not concerned about being a spam source. Certainly if someone took over one of my users machines, I would notice the traffic increase easily.

Does anyone know if there's a way to be able to do this? Seeing the amazing effect on inbound, it is really desirable to keep checking, but the outbound is very noticeable to my users.
PMEmail Poster
Don
Posted: Mar 5 2010, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2789

Was a solution to this ever found? I am having the same issue. Don't know why outbound messages are being checked.
PMEmail Poster
Digdug
Posted: Mar 14 2010, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1456

As far as I know there is no option in XMail v1.27 or earlier to prefend this.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll