XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Xmail With Dovecot Problem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Xmail With Dovecot Problem, Issue getting XMail to run as dovecot
cfmunster
Posted: May 12 2008, 01:55 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1439

I am working off of NomadCF's HOWTO for XMail and Dovecot and I have a problem. I can't get XMail to run as the dovecot user. The syslog gets this error:

Socket bind error

and XMail shuts down when trying this command:

CODE
su - dovecot -c "/var/MailRoot/bin/XMail -Mr 24 -Pl -Ph -Sl -Ql -Yi 30 -Yl -Fl -Cl -Ll -PX 0 -Sp 50025 -Pp 50110 -Fp 50079 -Ms /var/MailRoot"

This command runs fine for the root user, so I assume the issue is with the dovecot user permissions. The process starts, I can see a bunch of processes in htop, but then they die and I get the socket bind error.

I added the iptables rules and gave the dovecot user ownership of the /var/MailRoot and subdirs, but no love. Any ideas are appreciated.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: May 13 2008, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

No - I'm not an answering script ...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 195

Sure that your OS allows such high port numbers?
Try with 2025 and 2079 instead.

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

-- Download XMail Queue Manager 1.46 NOW: XMail Server Tools
-- Cross platform remote queue management!
-- Message analyzing on the fly!
-- Builtin diagnostics knowledge base!
-- Manages multiple mail queues!

Sponsored by
CD-Produktion und DVD-Produktion and Homestaging Saarland - Immobilien schneller verkaufen in der Region Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz und Luxembourg
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cfmunster
Posted: May 13 2008, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

thanks for the thought, harald, but i got the same result in the 2000 range. it works fine with root, just not with user dovecot.

i'm at a tech summit this week, i am going to poke around and find a linux guru and see if i can't get some help. i'll post the answer if i get one.
PMEmail Poster
cfmunster
Posted: May 27 2008, 03:39 AM
Quote Post

OK, I have sorted out the initial issue, which was that the xmail/dovecot instructions were a little old and the version of xmail then did not have pop3s or smtps. I have fixed that problem with a new command, including -X- -B-, to disable pop3s and smtps for testing:
CODE

su - dovecot -c "/var/MailRoot/bin/XMail -X- -B- -Mr 24 -Pl -Ph -Sl -Ql -Yi 30 -Yl -Fl -Cl -Ll -PX 0 -Sp 50025 -Pp 50110 -Fp 50079 -Ms /var/MailRoot"

XMail now runs as the dovecot user, but the pop3 service does not run successfully. if I telnet to port 110, I get a server busy error.

Separately, I am getting a PAM auth error from Dovecot, so I may either use the original auth idea from NomadCF or roll my own pam auth against XMail CtrlClnt.

Any thoughts on the best approach are appreciated.

*EDIT*

Doh! Guess I should set the POP3 thread count above 0. Mail now works, next I am on to integrating Dovecot authentication.
PMEmail Poster
cfmunster
Posted: May 27 2008, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

Got it! The trick with Dovecot is to set login_user in dovecot.conf to its own user that isn't used anywhere else. By the instructions, I was interpreting that to mean setting login_user as user dovecot, but the system will not let the same user that is running the login process actually log in, so it fails. I created a user/group just for the dovecot login process and set it in login_user, e.g. login_user = <user> in dovecot.conf. Now everything works - Dovecot with Xmail -based authentication.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: May 27 2008, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

No - I'm not an answering script ...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 195

Thanks for the feedback here !

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

-- Download XMail Queue Manager 1.46 NOW: XMail Server Tools
-- Cross platform remote queue management!
-- Message analyzing on the fly!
-- Builtin diagnostics knowledge base!
-- Manages multiple mail queues!

Sponsored by
CD-Produktion und DVD-Produktion and Homestaging Saarland - Immobilien schneller verkaufen in der Region Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz und Luxembourg
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Documentation and Knowledge Base | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll