XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Your Experience with XMail

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Your Experience with XMail, Why| how long do you use XMail
flashbit
Posted: Apr 30 2004, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1057

I've managed to install XMail 1.19 on XP with XAV running AVG Antivirus (Free edition) which almost has no job to do due to the CustMapsList option that enables the spam/exploits lists check.

It's safe to say that if XMail had IMAP (which I hope we'll see soon) there would be no competitors on the market.
PMEmail Poster
gEoTa
  Posted: May 28 2004, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 985

2 years ago i picked xmail 'cause it was the only "free" email server, open source, capable of running on both windows and linux (extremely important!), doing both pop3 and smtp and with a nice reputation.
Since then i've installed it on some servers and i didn't have any trouble with it. I've even discovered some great tools to attach, found that the filters are easy to implement and done some.
Only recently i've seen the forum and it seems it can be very usefull.. smile.gif
Not a single reclamation, so far... smile.gif
The only problem i see with this project is the dependency on one person. If something happens to him, like not wanting to develop this anymore or something like that, much work around this will be wasted. I hope not. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
atomant
Posted: May 28 2004, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

No - I'm not an answering script ...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 427

Actually, you can get the source and make modifications yourself (or suggest them). It depends only for a public release but if there are some other brains who want to make it even better, I think Davide won't mind to help him out. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Bye,
Sasa

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All electric machines work on smoke...when the smoke escape from machines, they don't work anymore
Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
hschneider
Posted: May 28 2004, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Member No.: 195

That's the great advantage of Open Source .. if 1 auther gets hit by a bus, another can pick up the project .. 100% investment protection ... cool.gif

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

-- Download XMail Queue Manager 1.46 NOW: XMail Server Tools
-- Cross platform remote queue management!
-- Message analyzing on the fly!
-- Builtin diagnostics knowledge base!
-- Manages multiple mail queues!

Sponsored by
CD-Produktion und DVD-Produktion and Homestaging Saarland - Immobilien schneller verkaufen in der Region Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz und Luxembourg
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dario
Posted: May 28 2004, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 265

Yes,
but in case, I hope there'll be someone so capable and devoted as Davide.

--------------------
-------
Dario
PMUsers Website
tac
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 04:01 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1148

Configuration system needs improvment.
-All tags need to be explained with comments inside of the "system.tab" file, not just in the manual.
-The whole [TAB] system is just plain dumb, why not use a space or an equal symbol?
-Manual needs to be redone, make it like the eXtremail manual
-Luckily 3rd party utilities make up for most of the remote admin flaws except even they have poor documentation of the Xmail settings.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Tac, you are free to contribute! I'm sure many users will appreciate your work.

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

Sponsored by
CD-Produktion und DVD-Produktion and Homestaging Saarland - Immobilien schneller verkaufen in der Region Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz und Luxembourg
sc4vengr
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Professional

Member No.: 461

QUOTE (tac @ Jun 3 2004, 04:01 AM)
Configuration system needs improvment.
-All tags need to be explained with comments inside of the "system.tab" file, not just in the manual.
-The whole [TAB] system is just plain dumb, why not use a space or an equal symbol?
-Manual needs to be redone, make it like the eXtremail manual
-Luckily 3rd party utilities make up for most of the remote admin flaws except even they have poor documentation of the Xmail settings.

-All tags are explained in ReadMe so RTFM.
-TAB system is different but efficient, its been coded like this so you will have to stick with this.
-The Manual is ok IMHO, if you don't like it, write your own.
-Are you saying the Admin protocol has security issue? if yes, show us.
-Don't forget XMail is free.

--------------------
You + webcam - clothes - dignity = $
PMEmail Poster
tac
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

-All tags are explained in ReadMe so RTFM.
-TAB system is different but efficient, its been coded like this so you will have to stick with this.
-The Manual is ok IMHO, if you don't like it, write your own.
-Are you saying the Admin protocol has security issue? if yes, show us.
-Don't forget XMail is free.

-I would post my eXtremail comment again, but the admins dont like that, but eXtremail is also a free e-mail server, and it has nice features in terms of documentation and configuration, while Xmail has nice features in terms of actually sending e-mails.

- If you give me the source code, and pay me to work on it, i will re-write the tab system to a space, and equal system, and i will re-write the Manual, and the webpage.

- When i said "flaws" i ment flaws with the ease of use. These remote utilities make it possible to avoid the horrible [tab] system.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

If you are further into XMail, you'll see that the .tab files are not meant to be edited manually. It is a common database structure, which is editable.

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

Sponsored by
tac
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

If it is simply a database of information, then there is all the more reason for a clean cut, easy to use control client, which comes standard with Xmail, and that control client needs to be well documented.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

That's right. Vote for "A better remote administration" under "Most wanted Tool".

>I would post my eXtremail comment again, but the admins dont like that, but eXtremail

Levent,
I never said, that we don't like it, but it's off-topic here. The topic is "Your Experience with XMail". Not "What we need to improve" or "A better mailer".

AGAIN: If you want to discuss these, please open seperate threads.

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

Sponsored by
mmartin
Posted: Jun 3 2004, 11:53 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1150

Hello,

I'm not THAT experienced with XMail, so only some comments.
What made my start a little rough was the fact that the documentation is basically a short overview of the possible settings, but hasn't much structure in it. Additionally, it is a little weak in the "howto do usual tasks" section.

Once I was a little more into it, XMail worked well. Spits out mails fast :-)

Something that would be great would be a better support for XMail as frontend server (e. g. using SMTP VRFY on the backend server to check if an account exists, if not reject right away). I see MANY admins looking for a protecting mail server for their Exchange boxes.
Ah, and yes, some more scripting variables for easier programming of filters (instead of having to extract the values out of the file) would be great.
Hmm, I should actually request those features. smile.gif

Regards, Manuel Martin
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

A protecting server can be customized by e.g. using SMTP level filters. A new feature of 1.20.

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

Sponsored by
amalcon
Posted: Jul 31 2004, 01:48 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1247

I guess I've had a different experience with XMail than most people. Basically, I have a PHP script I've been working on for someone, and I got a last minute request to have it notify them by e-mail when it's used. As they haven't given me the proper permissions on their server yet, I've had to set up apache, etc. locally, and e-mail is no different. I actually found that X-Mail wasn't difficult to set up at all; in fact, it was fairly self-explanatory. The only thing I had problems with was adding users, but a simple search of this forum pointed me to a very nice utility for administration. I think all that's really holding X-Mail backis the lack of an installer for the windows folk -- and, for a free utility, that's saying something.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll