XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Initial Set Up

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Initial Set Up
colinb
Posted: Aug 21 2001, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

I am having trouble with setting up Xmail as a pop3 server on Linux. What configurations do I need to perform? I believe I have set up everything relative to the documentation. We are trying to set up our own domain mail server and yet I cannot get a mail client (Outlook) to connect to the server. I also have no confirmation from the server that anything is working correctly. There doesn't seem to be any logs produced. Any help in setting up is welcome, thanks.

PM
Aram
Posted: Aug 22 2001, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1

Hi,

You need to give some technical details if you expect anyone to give you an answer.

- What parameters are you using to start XMail?
- What error (exactly) are you receiving when you try to use an mail client?
- Did you activated logging?

- Aram Tutunciyan -
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
colinb
Posted: Aug 23 2001, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 54

OK Thanks will take that on board, but have eventually managed to get the server working in a simple mode. However the only way that I was able to set up users was by using the remote admin functionality(telnet ... 6017). Have I missed something somewhere, or is this the only method of performing administrative functions.

Also I found I had to Authenticate users in order to make them accessible via the pop3 server (this sounds like a obvious proceedure but it's not mentioned anywhere!). Is this what is expected and what gets updated when I authenticate a user?

quote:
Hi,

You need to give some technical details if you expect anyone to give you an answer.

- What parameters are you using to start XMail?
- What error (exactly) are you receiving when you try to use an mail client?
- Did you activated logging?

- Aram Tutunciyan -

PM
idmon
Posted: Aug 24 2001, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 31

Great Program.

I started with 0.69. I set out looking for a cross platform mail server after using various (6) windows ones and 3 linux ones. Also one that can be remotely administered, multi domained and doesn't need real users in the OS.

After reading through the readme file in detail and then again. I am totally confident it is my email server for good.

Have a good look at the list of Tools on the www.xmailserver.org page, you're bound to find something you like other than Telnet.

p.s. there's a command line utility for you to add user too if you like

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll