XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Assp

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Assp, AntiSpam for Linux and Windows
wolf8769
Posted: Nov 20 2006, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1407

I am using pop3links ASSP can work for me? ASSP works with POP3?

ASSP is an SMTP proxy. It has nothing to do with POP3. So I guess you could say "Yes". It works with POP3. More accurately, it has nothing to do with POP3.

What is an "SMTP proxy", you ask? ASSP is an application that you run as a seperate service from your SMTP service (xmail in our case). The "proxy" part of the name comes from the fact that you configure ASSP to listen on port 25 --- so it can proxy as an SMTP server----although ASSP is not an SMTP server. It stands between the sending server and your receiving SMTP service. It does this so that it can run all kinds of powerful checks on the mail to see if it should be blocked as spam. If ASSP determines the message is OK, it then passes it onto your normal SMTP service. Since ASSP listens on port 25, you have to configure xmail's SMTP to listen on another port. (You can configure ASSP to listen on any port, but for production use, obviously it needs to listen on port 25.)

By the way, I continue to be very impressed with ASSP, but I'm struggling with some issues due to the rather unique aspects of my environment. I'm discussing those issues in this thread:
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=235332
In short, I had to turn off the bayesian filtering. I am using the DNSBL checking and the very simple yet effective Delaying feature. ASSP is worth installing just for the Delaying feature if nothing else.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Stoorm
Posted: Nov 28 2006, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1916

I am bit supriced that this topic haven't be up or talked moutch about before. ASSP is inded a good tool to filtering spam, some option cud be a bit tricky, neraly confusing. Its easy to learning the filter, no need to run any external progams or crons just forward the mail to you spam address. But I do have one problem with it. Why in the good god heaven do they have to have all does futures staft in it instaid of keep it numberus low to 5-6 or most inportent and needfull once. My simple opinion is what the base server will serv for purpose at the end, exept delivering mail to right box, if ASSP do rest of the job. And are we really sure we choice the right way, and should we ignore the fact we install a mailserver that attend purpose was collecting our mail, instead we let some server side filtering software who's primary task was filtering out the junk from the inbox, well maby little more but never take over completly.Would we risk users mail accounts security when we get some junk mail and totaly ignore the big picture. User who starts complaining, ohh "I HAVE SPAM I MY INBOX, DO SOMTHING ABOUT IT" Hey, WAF I now, I let ASSP take over evrything, my coustmers will be quiet and I satisfied.This is my honest opinion.

- Overall It's a exelent software, works well and easy to inplant, but we maby should think twise before we forget whats it's all about and why we put iy there in the in the first plase

Sound like a newspaper korensponder biggrin.gif but thats how I see it.

--------------------
user posted image
XMail, You mail client for life, fast reable and stable
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
rainynight65
Posted: Feb 14 2007, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1919

This is a great tool. It could have a few more features, like sorting spam/nospam through the web interface, but this is the best antispam tool that works with xmail which I have come across so far. Greylisting immediately eliminated 98% of the spam on my server.
PMEmail Poster
mikespcs
Posted: Feb 20 2007, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1850

Hello,

I too am setting up ASSP, as it looks promising.

I have set assp to listen on port 25, xmail on port 26, but all my emails fail telling me that I cannot relay.
The error comes in like xx.xxx.xx.xxx -> 192.168.1.200:25 -> 127.0.0.1:26

I have set smtprelay.tab to have "127.0.0.1" <tab> "255.255.255.0" in it, but it didnt work. One of my errors (copied and edited) is"
"Feb-19-07 17:52:44 Connected: 65.54.246.232:12259 -> 192.168.1.200:25 -> 127.0.0.1:26
Feb-19-07 17:52:54 65.54.246.232 <xxxxxxx@hotmail.com> relay attempt blocked for: xxxx@mikespcs.biz
Feb-19-07 17:52:55 65.54.246.232 <xxxxxxx@hotmail.com> is disconnected

Can someone guide me? Anyone?

Thanks!
PMEmail Poster
cfmunster
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 01:56 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1439

Cool! I just installed and configured it and it looks good. I disabled SpamAssassin Win32 and commented out my SA filter from XMail.

I have a fairly basic ASSP configuration running right now. I'm going to see how this does for awhile and maybe get into more complex config options later.
PMEmail Poster
hschneider
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

No - I'm not an answering script ...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 195

ASSP = Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy. However, you can use fetchmail to get POP3 mails and push them to the SMTP port: http://www.fetchmail.info/

--------------------
Bye,
Harald

-- Download XMail Queue Manager 1.46 NOW: XMail Server Tools
-- Cross platform remote queue management!
-- Message analyzing on the fly!
-- Builtin diagnostics knowledge base!
-- Manages multiple mail queues!

Sponsored by
CD-Produktion und DVD-Produktion and Homestaging Saarland - Immobilien schneller verkaufen in der Region Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz und Luxembourg
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
NomadCF
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Wizard

Member No.: 434

Updated see 1st post.

--------------------
-- Chris L. Franklin --
www.NomadCF.com

All my scripts are written for linux servers.
My XMail scripts
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Andy
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 761

Glad you got someone to listen about the tls problem. I created a bug report ages ago but no-one has done anything about it till now.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...172&atid=523647

Andy.
PMEmail Poster
NomadCF
Posted: Jan 29 2008, 03:36 AM
Quote Post

Wizard

QUOTE (Andy @ Jan 28 2008, 11:46 AM)
Glad you got someone to listen about the tls problem. I created a bug report ages ago but no-one has done anything about it till now.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...172&atid=523647

Andy.

Oh they didn't listen, they did what they did to you and discounted my findings. It wasn't until I posted the patch/fix for the issue that the creator finally took it into account. And still never admitted there was a bug.

But after posting a bug **and** the fix did it finally get all noticed.

Sorry I never took a better look at your issue. I've only just recently upgraded to 1.25 from anything 1.(21|22). And had the issue my self.

--------------------
-- Chris L. Franklin --
www.NomadCF.com

My XMail scripts
mroctober
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 02:50 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 653

After I installed ASSP and ready to turn it on it suddenly struck me. What about "pop before smtp"? I digged thru ASSP docs and forum but can't derive any conclusion. Has anyone setup ASSP + Xmail w/ pop before smtp on?
PMEmail Poster
NomadCF
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 03:24 AM
Quote Post

Wizard

Since ASSP doesn't handle anything to do with pop3. You'll need to **disable** all anti relay checks in ASSP. And then you should be fine.

--------------------
-- Chris L. Franklin --
www.NomadCF.com

My XMail scripts
mroctober
Posted: Feb 8 2008, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

That's right! me dumb dumb...Thanks Nomad!
PMEmail Poster
mroctober
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 02:08 AM
Quote Post

Hi Nomad,

I'm still having problem with no Pop before SMTP with Xmail/ASSP setup. I'm a small ISP with 500 email accounts for small businesses and I've setup most of the accounts (various domains) to use pop before smtp.

I read the following in ASSP wiki:

One of the following conditions must be met before ASSP will relay a message.

A. Messages from an IP listed in "Accept All Mail"
B. Messages with a SMTP AUTH affirmative response
C. Messages sent through the "Relay Port"
D. Messages approved for relaying by POP before SMTP

If I do A, then wouldn't my server be considered open-relay by RBL's since it'll accept all mails although eventually rejected by Xmail?
PMEmail Poster
NomadCF
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

Wizard

Did you turn off all relaying checks in ASSP ?
Did you turn off "Skip Local Domain Check" ?

Can you post your config MINUS the web interface password ?

--------------------
-- Chris L. Franklin --
www.NomadCF.com

My XMail scripts
NomadCF
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Wizard

Side Quiestion that smtp client are your clients using that doesn't support AUTH SMTP ?

--------------------
-- Chris L. Franklin --
www.NomadCF.com

My XMail scripts
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Fighting SPAM | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll