XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Is This Possible?

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is This Possible?, more pop3 accounts
srhansen
Posted: Feb 12 2009, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3187

Hi there!

I have just bought an QNAP and have installet XMAIL.

As far as i can read it is possible to synchronize more external POP3 accounts. In my case i have 5 external pop3 accounts i like XMail to handle. The purpose of this will be:

1. All mails will be stored on my mail-server
2. I can open the mails from more than 1 computer and even with my cell-phone.

I can read that if i want the server to store my mails it going to be like IMAP accounts. So in some way i need to fetch the pop3 accounts from my ISP and convert them to IMAP protocol in my mailserver.

My acounts is:
n1@mail.dk, n2@mail.dk, n3@mail.dk, n4@mail.dk, n5@mail.dk, so the domain is mail.dk, but it is not owned by me.

the smtp is: asmtp.mail.dk and pop3.mail.dk is the pop3

The server need login, but i have read about how to do that somewhere else in this forum.

On page 3 in my Xmail-setup i am asked about the domains. Already there i am stucked cause the domain isnt mine. I just entered mydomain, but nothing seems to be wrong. I have read the guides about configuration and searced this forum, but nothing seems to match my problem. It would be nice if someone would take the time to guide me through cause i have realy been trying hard my self´:-)

thanx
PMEmail Poster
srhansen
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

No one?
PMEmail Poster
Sob
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2881

Few tips:

- XMail is mail server, it's supposed to "own" some domain, meaning other mail servers will send mail for this domain directly to this server. It appears that you have no such domain and basically want XMail to serve just as a data store. Even in this case, you need to enter some domain for XMail. If you do not plan to use it for sending mail, just enter any non-existing domain, e.g. "my.local". But if you plan to send mail through this server (for data store only scenario you don't really need to), you should choose some existing domain, for example your existing hostname, because it's good practice to use existing hosts for sending mail. Other mail servers could reject it otherwise. There's other stuff like reverse dns, but this is usually enough to reach "mostly works" state.

- Once you have domain set up and created some account where you want to download the mail to, you should check that you're running XMail with some reasonable sync interval (-Yi <interval> commnad line parameter) and sync logging might help too (-Yl). Then everything can be set in pop3link.tab, described in http://www.xmailserver.org/Readme.html#pop3links_tab. Most probably you can set all this in some configuration interface, but I have no idea what XMail on QNAP has.
PMEmail Poster
srhansen
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Hi Sob

Thanks for your reply! You might be right about Xmail is supposed to own som domain. In fact i do own a domain, but it is hosted by an mailhotel. The reason im not hosting it my self is, that my ip.adress is dynamic and changes some time.

I have tried just to type in my own domain, but the pop3 thing still dosnt work and it was supposed to if i read the manual right.

"
* No real system account required
* SMTP relay checking
* Custom SMTP maps check
* SMTP protection over spammers (IP-based and address-based)
* SMTP authentication (PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 POP3/SMTP and custom)
* SMTP ETRN command support
* POP3 account synchronizer with external POP3 accounts
"
Its of course the first and the last line have in mind. I wonder why nobody havent posted the same problem down.gif
PMEmail Poster
Sob
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:38 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2881

What about those command line parameters that I mentioned? If you enable sync logging, then log files psync-<date> will be created in XMail's log directory. You'll see if anything happens at all.
PMEmail Poster
srhansen
Posted: Feb 26 2009, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Hi Sob

Sorry for the late reply! But i found out that my instalation was failed.
Another user has mailed me with the exact same problem and how he has solved it and that was precis what i needed to be runing my self.
Status is that i am up and running with imap and or pop3 inboxes. I need to fix and "send" topic but that i think is a minor problem.

I wish to thank you again for your interest in helping me.

Best regard
srhansen
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll