XMailforum is a readonly knowledge archive now.

Registering as a new user or answering posts is not possible anymore.

Might the force be with you, to find here what you are looking for.

2019-09-20 - hschneider, Admin

Cookie Disclaimer: This forum uses only essential, anonymous session cookies (xmailforum*), nothing to be scared of.

XMail Forum -> Client Authentication

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Client Authentication
Wolfy
Posted: Jan 14 2002, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 125

I've installed Xmail on a W2k server.
And everything is working fine so far.

The only 'problem' I have encountered is that when I configure my email client (Eudora), I need to put user@my-domain.com for the Logon name, or else it will give me 'ERR invalid user name or password' error. (SMTP and POP servers are configured as mail.my-domain.com).

All the other email accounts (on servers not running Xmail) are configured simply use user for the Logon name.

Is there a setting somewhere in Xmail that will allow my clients to simply use their user name for their Logon name .. rather than having to use user@my-domain.com?

PM
ricco
Posted: Jan 14 2002, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 97

Providing you're running only one domain, you can set the "POP3 Domain" variable in server.tab to my-domain.com (not mail.my-domain.com). When the user logs in with just their username, the server will complete the phrase by adding @my-domain.com.

Or, you could have a domain alias of my-domain.com for mail.my-domain.com, and make the users members of the mail.my-domain.com domain (if they're not already).

- Ricco

PM
Wolfy
Posted: Jan 15 2002, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for the quick reply ricco, :)

But I'm running multiple domains, so the first idea is out.

In DNS the mail server is called mail and it belongs my-domain.com .. and I don't really want the clients to have to use user@mail.my-domain.com .. so it seems I'll have to play with the domain alias' just a bit.

PM
Wolfy
Posted: Jan 19 2002, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

After reading the documentation a little more carefully, it seems that XMail cant do what I was looking for ...

From MAILUSERS.TAB instructions:
"To allow multiple domains handling the POP3 client must use the entire email address for the POP3 user account, ex. if a user has email user@domain it must supply :
user@domain
as POP3 account login."

I wanted the POP3 client to use user as the user account rather than user@domain.

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | XMail Server | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll